Language barriers,different record formats, unfamiliar naming patterns (not paying attention in geography class) have all been discouraging factors.
Thankfully the list of European databases online is growing.
Here are a few Dutch sites I have found helpful.
- It really helped searching records knowing the naming patterns. This site has a pretty simple explanation.
- The English version of The 'Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie' (Central Bureau for genealogy -CBG) is the Dutch information centre for geneaolgy and family history. The site is a little confusing at first and you have to register. They have free records but most seem to pay per view. I might consider paying for a few of these. The previews looks pretty tempting.
- This Dutch Genealogy Blog maintained by Yvette Hoitink always has interesting links
- goDutch.com has been a helpful site. I found some connections to Ontario newspapers. The site has some useful tips and as a bonus..recipes!!
- Last but not least, Cyndi's List has a great updated list of online databases.